Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fresh start, coming right up.

A new year and a new decade start in just a couple of days. New Years is never a big deal for me, in fact, I volunteered to close the restaurant this year and will probably be at work until 12am or later. But it is nice to have a little time for reflection and goal-setting. Well, and for wondering why it's 2010 already and I don't own a hover car or a house on the moon.

My goals for this year involve budgeting, and organizing and getting better at focusing on my projects. Essentially, un-cluttering my life from all perspectives so that I'll have a little more room for creativity. I started early by re-organizing the whole kitchen, and it got me thinking about what goals I need to set for myself in the kitchen for the next few months. Some new products to use, some new recipes, new techniques. I'm excited to be making time for cooking again!

So, wondering what I'm excited about? Well, I'll tell you anyway. For Christmas my wonderful family who treats me to so many goodies to use in the kitchen gave me some new toys, most notably a mandoline slicer and an 11 cup Cuisinart. I also got a food scale and a dough scraper, some adorable molds for cupcakes and petits fours, and lots of food products to try - truffle cream, balsamic/fig syrup, cheeses and salts and snacks and so on! There's so much I want to make right now I thought I'd compile a list and try to make everything on it by the end of the year. If anyone actually reads this, try to hold me accountable, ok?!

Malaysian Roti Jala (Net Bread)
Homemade cheese of some kind
Kuih Bahulu
Jasmine Sticky Rice with Mangoes
Pocky
Tortillas
Vegetarian Tamales
Shoyu Tamago
Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
Dandelion Bread
Vegetarian Big Macs (for Ryan of course)
Matcha Shortbread
Real actual bread with yeast and everything

I will add to this list over the next couple of days before the new year, and will include recipe links as I check them off.

Happy New Year!!

xoxo

me

No comments:

Post a Comment