Friday, January 22, 2010

Banuffins!

A pair of bananas have been sitting on my kitchen counter for a week now, each day growing more brown and looking less appetizing. I know their secret though - let them go absolutely mushy and they will cooperate with sugar and flour so much more nicely.

While waiting for my bananas to ripen I've been browsing recipes for banana bread. I am accustomed to the type my mother used to make - a dense, moist loaf studded with walnuts and browned perfectly on top. However, when I recreate the recipe I never seem to get it quite right, and I often find a little bite of bitterness in there, possibly from the baking soda. I'd also like something lighter and fluffier - something cuter to look at, perhaps?

I came across this recipe at British Cream Tea and thought I would give it a go. It uses self-rising flour instead of soda and rolled oats for a difference in texture. I made just a few changes - regular granulated sugar instead of caster sugar, I doubled the recipe since I had 2 bananas instead of one, added a good shake of cinnamon since I can't do without it, reduced the liquid (um, accidentally), and poured the batter into my new silicone baking cups rather than a loaf pan. I also got the opportunity to use my new food scale for measuring which had me absolutely giddy (I really shouldn't get so excited over new kitchen toys).



They turned out just as I wanted them to - fluffy and light, slightly sticky, but not too sweet, and absolutely devour-able.

Banuffins

250g self-rising flour
150g granulated sugar
80g rolled oats (plus more for sprinkling)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 large, overripe bananas
1/3 cup milk
5 teaspoons of vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 2 small loaf pans, 1 medium loaf pan, or baking cups.

In a medium bowl mix flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon. In a separate bowl mash bananas with a fork, then add eggs, milk and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring only enough to combine. Don't over mix.

Spoon mixture into pan/tins, sprinkle rolled oats lightly across the top. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Eat finished product immediately and hide the evidence. There's no reason why you should share.

xoxo

me

1 comment: