Sunday, July 5, 2009

Bringing them to the table

I have spent quite a bit of time lately thinking about what the important things in life are to me. How can I simplify? What will make me, and my family the happiest? The answer to that question in particular is different for all three of us, I think, but I believe that one force can bring us closer together time after time - the home-cooked meal. It is no secret to anyone interested in food that a simple meal can change the dynamic between people, dramatically. Food can unite people within a culture, or bring multiple cultures together to revel in their differences. Sitting down to a holiday dinner can turn even the most quarrelsome of dysfunctional families into contended, thoughtful companions, if only until the food leaves the table. I dream of casual yet elegant dinners with friends and family, taken outside at a table crowded with dishes brought potluck style from each guest; we would linger at the table for hours, chatting and sipping wine, picking at the last bites in each bowl until twilight makes it too dark to see. While occurrences such as that may be regular for some, I have to face the fact that I don't have those sorts of family or friends.

Realistically I will settle for bringing my husband and daughter together just long enough for him to lick his plate clean (an average of 2 1/2 minutes), and for her to get bored of being confined to the highchair and scream relentlessly to get down (only double the time it takes hubby to finish his meal). A notoriously slow eater to anyone who knows me, I will often sit for half an hour after the two of them leave the table, chewing thoughtfully and fending off tugs at my leg from the bunbun. Not my ideal scenario, but at least I can control part of our meals - the part that is on our plates.

I also have it set in my mind that my daughter will be an adventurous eater who will try anything once and who has no fears of bitter aftertastes or strange textures. Thus far... well, I have a lot of work to do. What can I say, I have a toddler. So I am constantly searching for recipes that will appeal to both our adult tastes (and love of all things spicy) and her persnickety palate. A recent addition to my mommy repertoire are these simple sweet potato- black bean cakes. I use mild chiles in the patties, but add spicy salsa on top for me and the hubs. They have their place on our plates next to rice and steamed veggies, with tortilla chips and spicy soup, or sandwiched in a bun with lettuce, tomato and onion. Regardless of their accompaniments they are a favorite with all three of us, and are a way to get us all to the table, if only for the time it takes to devour them.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Patties*

Oil
2 small sweet potatoes or yams
1 4.5 oz can diced mild green chiles
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 egg
salt and pepper
pinch of smoked paprika
breadcrumbs, at least 1 cup (amount depends on how wet the mixture is)

Peel and dice the sweet potatoes, then boil them until soft (15-20 minutes). Drain, mash, and cool until they won't burn you. In a small skillet heat a teaspoon of oil over medium heat and add the garlic and the chiles, stirring until garlic is tender but not browned (2-3 minutes). Add chile mixture to sweet potatoes, along with black beans, egg, salt and pepper to taste and paprika. Mash the mixture with a fork to crush a few of the black beans (should still be very chunky). Then add breadcrumbs, a bit at a time, until mixture holds together well, but is still moist. Shape into patties and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes on each side, being careful not to let them burn. Serve however you like. They go great with a spicy, chunky salsa.

*This recipe was inspired by Cooking Books, which was in turn inspired by a few other people, but our internet was not working when I made these the first time, so I improvised on the ingredients and technique.

I found that adding the egg and more breadcrumbs makes them drier after they cook than you will expect, but they stay together nicely on a bun. Leaving the egg out and just putting in enough breadcrumbs to shape them into patties will give you crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside balls that are best eaten with a fork.


I forgot to take a picture when I made them, so instead I'll leave you with this image of bunbun at the beach this weekend. A bun-bum if you will.



xoxo

me

No comments:

Post a Comment