Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dandy

As in dandelion. The bane of beautiful lawns everywhere.

I'm sure you have heard that dandelion leaves are edible. Maybe you've heard the words "dandelion wine" thrown around somewhere. You might have even seen today's recipe, as it has been mentioned several times on this wonderful blog. But maybe, like me, you weren't aware that every part of the plant is edible, and that our little commonplace roadside weed in fact packs a burst of vitamins and medicinal properties. Besides that, when we're talking about foraging around our neighborhoods for free pick-your-own snackies, no plant is easier to find and identify as safe. Even the false dandelions are completely edible. Just be sure to choose spots that are free of herbicides and far enough away from roads to not be absorbing oil runoff. More complete instructions on picking dandies can be found here.

This recipe is another off my to-do list, and I'm glad I got to it in time. Those ubiquitous yellow puffs have been staring at me every time I drive around for weeks now, but I just haven't had the chance to get up early enough for the flowers to still be closed. Apparently you have to sneak up on the little guys. Luckily I was able to recruit my skeptical but happy-to-help sister to get her hands all yellow with me at the crack of dawn today, and I finally got this recipe tested.

The bread is less sweet than I would have imagined. It is moist and chewy, with an almost buttery taste from the petals, and it has a really nice flavor overall. Just perfect with a cup of soup on the side. The sunshine-y color of it doesn't hurt it's appeal either! We will definitely be baking this again, especially as my toddler gets bigger and finds as much silly joy as I do in baking with common flowers.


Dandy Bread

2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dandelion petals, any greenery discarded
1/4 cup canola oil
4 tbsp honey
1 egg
scant 1 1/2 cups milk

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl, including petals, and mix. Make sure to separate clumps of petals. In separate bowl mix together wet ingredients. Add liquid ingredients to dry and stir. Batter should be fairly wet and lumpy. Pour into buttered loaf pan. Bake at 400°F. Bread will take 25-40 or more minutes. At 25 minutes, check doneness of bread with a toothpick. If still too moist inside, lower oven temperature and continue to bake, checking every five minutes. It should be a nice golden brown on the outside when done.



This sunny bread would go beautifully with a sunny soup, like say, this one.

xoxo

me

3 comments:

  1. Your bread sounds--and looks--delicious! I'd never thought of putting dandelion flowers into my bread. But perhaps I've been wasting them on the bunnies all this time.

    Do you think some added sunflower seeds or nuts would detract too much from the flowers? I can't resist a little crunch sometimes . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I don't know if nuts would be the best thing for this bread, but sunflower seeds or pepitas sound like they would be great! Thanks, what a good idea, I'll have to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just found this recipe and was wondering if you have made it again since this post? I make a dandelion loaf that uses just the yellow parts, like this recipe. But I've never collected them when they are closed! I just pick the yellow part out of the opened flowers and use it! Is there a reason why you get them while still closed? Thanks for the recipe! I am adding it to my dandelion recipes! :D
    Robin
    robinsnestof5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete