Wednesday, June 17, 2009

24

It's true, I am. Yesterday was my birthday, and I will never be 23 again (except to my Dad who so kindly refuses to let me age in his mind). It's a good age. It feels older than 23, while 23 felt no older than 22 for some reason. Isn't it strange the associations we make in our minds with silly numbers?

The day was spent lazily playing with the bun-bun. We chased bubbles around the living room, tried on every pair of her shoes, and some of mine, and I let her wear a tutu around all morning so that she could be my birthday princess. Then there were 2 hectic hours - "Shirt tucked in or no? Tie on or off? Jeans or slacks?" "Don't pull the kitty's tail! Where did you hide my credit cards?! We don't put our hands in the toilet!!!" "No, you turn right, not left. No, at the stop sign, not when you get off the freeway. Ok, maybe you do turn left, I have no idea anymore!". Finally we got settled down at one of my favorite restaurants for dinner with my Mom, Dad, sister and her fiancé (or 'fancy' as she calls him). My sister and I are starting to look a little bit alike lately, which is a smidgen creepy (I'm on the right).



However she does have a fantastic mustache. Jealous?



Anyway, the restaurant is Cafe Flora. It's nice, when you're a vegetarian, to go out and be able to eat anything on the menu. I like this restaurant in particular because they have their old popular standbys that are always yummy, and then a few seasonal dishes that are more inventive. They use only local and organic produce and sitting out in their atrium with the big sliding windows open always makes me feel calm and happy. The bun had her own little black bean burger and yam fries, while also snacking off of our lentil pâté platter and fried avocados with papaya chutney. For dinner I had an extra full glass of organic Viognier (courtesy of a good waitress), and a small, but surprisingly filling dish of beets and greens ravioli, with coconut mango jasmine rice pudding for dessert.

It's nice getting together with my family, especially when they bring me presents. I got lots of good things, like the beautiful lounge pants from Anthropologie, and the cooking supplies that I can't wait to use. My sister always spoils me with girly things, and my Dad usually supplies the kitchen toys that I always look forward to, but this year my mom obliged to ordering a 9 quart red Le Creuset cast iron enameled dutch oven. I could have cried when it came in the mail yesterday morning, it is so beautiful. Just as much fun to play with will my new 3 piece pasta rolling set for my Kitchen Aid, and my little creme bruleé torch. I work the next 2 nights, and this weekend involves some sort of surprise trip with hubby, but the next free day I get will be spent entirely in the kitchen, probably while wearing my new lounge pants.

xoxo

me

2 comments: