Monday, June 15, 2009

Curing a junk food hangover

I have a history of binging on junk food on Sundays, and yesterday was no exception. I think maybe this informal tradition started when hubby got back into watching football. I really couldn't care less about the games, but I can be coaxed into sitting through just about any 4 hour chunk of boring with a heaping plate of chili covered nachos. Since I'm already eating processed cheese and a meal that is bigger than my head, I might as well finish the job with 6 cans of Mt. Dew and maybe a heaping plate of hash browns and eggs for dinner. Once I get started I give in completely.

There was no game yesterday, but we did have our friends Felicia and Mark over for a movie night, and I got started pigging out early. Not that they were boring; they weren't; but it was my Sunday off. A bag of cheetos started it, which was followed up by a ginormous veggie sandwich from Claim Jumper with steak fries and soda, and a side of cheese potato-cakes. During the movie we busted out 3 pints of Ben & Jerry's to sample, at which point I was feeling pretty self-loathing. I promised hubby that I would eat nothing but ochazuke for the rest of the week to make up for it. He just shrugged and said "whatever".

I think he knows as well as I do that I'm not going to be going on a strict diet, or any kind of diet at all, but ochazuke did sound pretty good by the time I got the bun down for a nap this afternoon. Ochazuke is a simple, light Japanese meal that can be customized pretty much any way you like. Throw a little leftover rice in a bowl and add whatever toppings you want. I chose spring onions, sauteed chard, radishes, and nori strips, but you could also add umeboshi, water chestnuts, mushrooms, furikake, or some meat or fish if you're so inclined. Top that off with some green tea - in about the same proportion you'd use to put milk on your cereal. You could also use hot water or dashi stock, but the green tea is traditional.



I added a small mixed greens salad with cucumbers and sesame seeds with a soy sauce and chili oil dressing. I feel much better. Guilt purged.

xoxo

me

2 comments: