Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday or Thursday? Impossible to tell.

It's sunny and beautiful outside. Soft and fluffy, but frighteningly huge honey bees are buzzing around the flowering crab apple tree outside my window. Who knows, maybe it will hit 75° today? It's all nice to look at, but I don't want to be out there. Allergy season has started and I'm itchy, sneezy and grumpy (At least 2 out of 7 dwarves). Besides, some days only fit with a grey sky outside, a slight drizzle, and a haze of fog in the background. Today is one of those days. And I assure you, its nothing mopey or depressing, its just that when you've lived in the Pacific Northwest almost your entire life you develop a respect for those cold, soggy days that absorb most of our year. Its about the calm that the mild weather brings - none of the distractions of glaringly bright sunshine and a chorus of birds singing in surround sound. When it's sunny and delightful outside you think about how beautiful the weather is. When the weather is blah you think about how beautiful everything else is. This day needs less weather.

And what am I enjoying indoors so much? Well, Bun-bun is definitely my child. She's plopped on the floor organizing a box of crayons. She picks one up, looks it over, feels the paper, then finds a place for it in the box - wait, no - pulls it back out and finds a better spot. She colors a little, and then goes back to fiddling with the crayons. She toddles over to me with a little blue stub and holds it up to my mouth like it's a snack she's sharing. Her little fingers smell like wax. The smell of so many days of my own childhood.

Yesterday I got my CSA delivery. Every two weeks is Christmas! A box of surprise presents of all colors and textures.



My favorite for this week is a bunch of electric purple radishes - when washed they are so bright and beautiful I'd almost rather make a necklace out of them than eat them. Almost. Sautéed in butter and salt I call them lunch. Not forgetting, of course, the quick quesadilla I made with the shiitake mushrooms and chard. How I love creating something quick and delicious with whatever is in my fridge. Thank you, Klesick Family Farms for making it that much easier for me.

Only a few hours to kill now before I go to work. Somehow I got tomorrow off, but I'd like to pick up a shift or two. As of right now, there aren't any up for grabs, so until tomorrow morning I won't know if tonight is my Thursday or my Friday. At any rate, here's hoping that tonight doesn't kick my ass as much as last night did.

xoxo

me

No comments:

Post a Comment